Saturday, March 2, 2013

Wild Asparagus: Sneakier than I thought

I've been reading other foraging blogs, and I recall one in Washington State I was particularly jealous of while reading about the wild asparagus to be had. It turns out I have it here too in Southern California! There has been this annoying vine that sprouts up every year and covers my equally annoying and spiky bushes that came with the house. I was watering about a week ago, and thought "No way!!!" There were asparagus-like shoots popping up out of the ground, morphing into those annoying vines. I felt amazed and incredibly stupid at the same time. Here is a picture of a shoot. They grow  bit more spindly and wacky than farmed asparagus.
It turns into this vine. It is less ferny than the intentionally planted ones I have and more spikey.

Don't eat the berries I would assume. 


No comments:

Post a Comment