Friday, January 4, 2013

Is Hoarding/Prepping Organic Foods Snooty?


What's in your cabinet? I reluctantly admit, I have been addicted to the show "Extreme Couponing" as of late--well, the reruns on Netflix anyway, and while I am MAD JEALOUS of their supply hoards........The foods just aren't what I would usually buy and eat. I suppose an emergency supply of anything is better than nothing, but assuming the emergency comes after the shelf life of the stored items, I would be stuck eating, donating, or throwing away BPA lined cans of tuna, boxes upon boxes of GMO filled cereal, and, as every single one of the couponers stockpiled, cases of sugar laden "Vitamin water".


The sheer amount of the hoard they have still peers into the depths of my hoarding soul though. I suppose I shouldn't hate. I've made my choices and I should respect theirs without jealousy like a good anarchist. 

I also am likely limited on the discounts I could get on the detergent and other non-food items the couponers had due to the fact grocery stores near me sadly do not double coupons.

Is limiting the food in my cabinet and stockpile to GMO free, BPA free, and organic where possible (but avoiding ingredients known to likely be GMOs) Snooty?? Am I over thinking it? Is it risking my life by having a smaller stockpile due to cost restrictions? Or is quality over quantity a huge factor?

Anyone out there in the blogosphere prepping with organic food and BPA free cans (or glass jars) in mind? I would love to know!

Anyone an extreme couponer? Is it worth the time and effort to do it only for the tax benefits of donating the items to charity?

Please comment!!



3 comments:

  1. I have a little pantry going and do have some tins of organic beans I bought at Trader Joes. Most of my hoard though is dried pasta and rice, beans and oatmeal.
    I find those couponing programs a bit depressing. Unless you donate the stuff how can you possible use 108 toothbrushes.
    The whole thing is just not in my scope of things and the food looks deadly......(snooty or what ?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! My first comment!I have been mostly targeting things like razors (got 2 packs free this month!)and toilet paper and such with my couponing goals. I agree, grabbing 100 toothbrushes is excessive, even if they are free. I started couponing as a sad protest against income tax. I can't yet control how much of my income I get to keep, and taxation is unfairly on a sliding scale based on income. I figure if I could beat the average on the way out in terms of not paying sales tax by buying on the internet over state lines or from garage sales or by couponing for free items as much as possible, I might even things out in a karmic sort of way. Does that make sense at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, exactly... The food on those shows does seem deadly. I don't want cancer.

    It seems like coworkers and friends look down on and frown upon the person eating "lowly beans and sprouts and rice" or an algae bar at work, when it is about fuel, not fun for me. I could afford to eat a bucket of fried chicken at work each day, but where would that leave me at age 50? People make you feel snooty and stuck up for not wanting to share in the food they eat. That has been my experience.

    I want to find and meet more preppers that eat the foods that I eat. I don't want to feel alone and odd.

    ReplyDelete